HYDRANGEAS



With each season comes a favorite blossom. As that of the previous season fades another begins to immerge to take its place thus always providing enchantment and delight in a garden.

the Lacecap Hydrangea in the foreground and the Oakleaf Hydrangea in the background
I’ve heard it said it is essential for every southern garden to have the trinity of the Hydrangea, Azalea and Camellia.


I am greatly in favor of all these flowering shrubs. I have been enchanted by the large clustered flowers of the Hydrangea that lend themselves so beautifully to the garden’s landscape, to flower arrangements and to flower preserving.


As with the Camellia, and Peony a number of other flowers, some Hydrangeas come to us from the Orient as well as North and South America.


Hydrangeas are divided into two flowering types – mopheads – large drapy flowers and lacecaps – flat elegant flowers.


Most hydrangeas are white, with the exception of the H Macrophylla breed which can be shades of blue, pink, light purple and dark purple.


I have found the truth in these flowers in that their color is definitely affected by the pH of the soil. 
Last Autumn, I rooted a few branches from my mother-in-law’s shrub – beautiful bright blue blossoms.

Blue and White Mantel with my Mother-in-law's blue Hydrangeas

Mine are coming out pink – it is all in the soil! 


We are going to root more and play with the colors.


I love the large Oakleaf Hydrangea that was here when we bought our home – it is quite large – we have shared many babies with friends.


It is enveloping the mirror I hung at its side along with the Winter Jasmine.


It is also hugging my sweet statue with its blooms and large leaves.



The Endless Summer Hydrange – should be pink – but is also affected by the acidity of the soil and is turning out blue.




The Lady in Red Hydrangea began red – turned blue and when I moved her is showing signs of going back to being red.


Hydrangeas lend themselves easily to rooting allowing you to introduce favorite heirloom flowers – such as the ones from my mother-in-law’s garden.
Hydrangeas are definitely a beautiful – fun shrub for the garden.