Rambling

on a warm November day


The sun warmed my back as I walked through mine and my neighbor’s garden. I have to admit, I really love his picket fence. The pink roses look so perfect alongside the hand hewed timbers.



Butterflies and bees were flitting about drinking in the last of the sweet nectar of each flowering blossom. It is a wonder to still see so many things blooming.

My neighbors, this bush is HUGE!


The cats were weaving their way between my feet wondering why the flowers were more important at the moment to me than they were. I paused a moment to feed them and was able to continue my ramble towards the Camellias.




Do you ever feel that the peacefulness and quietness of a garden were part of God’s original plan for us? Verdant and abundant in giving to us, gardens are such a wonderful gift.


Identifying these sweet diminutive rose still eludes me for the moment. 


I did take time this morning to take a nearly spent blossom – to remove all its petals and count them. There were between 120 and 150! 



I was quite amazed that so much could be bound in such a tiny, sweet blossom.


The Mexican Sage seems to be at its peak now, it attracts Clouded Yellow Butterfly each year.






La Marne is still covered in various shades of pink blossoms, they seem to begin a deeper pink as the weather turns cooler and fade to a soft pink before transforming into rose hips.


Pretty Lady seems to be breaking away with a happy exuberance – I purchased her last winter and am thrilled with her progress – I can’t wait until she’s a beautiful shrub filled with blossoms.



This is another mystery rose – why do I have so many? These were given to me by someone who rescued them from an abandoned garden and who later didn’t want these roses any more. Can you imagine that?!



This oregano is growing through the cracks of this planter. Last year I had them filled with herbs and transplanted them to another part of the garden earlier this year. I suppose some of the roots remained – I think it charming…my husband not so much.



This wind chime sits outside my kitchen window near my desk. When the wind blows I can hear its music – so peaceful and so pleasant.